The average person spends more than three hours a day on their smartphone and checks their phone over 58 times a day. Constantly looking down at your phone or computer can take a toll on your body, and cause a condition called “text neck”. Symptoms of text neck include headaches, stiff neck, numb thumbs, and shoulder pain. Living in a world where we look down a large portion of the day, it can be hard to figure out how to avoid text neck.
How to Avoid Text Neck:
- Posture. Be mindful of your posture. How do you hold your head when you look at your phone? Keep your head up and your shoulders back. Remember to look down with your eyes, not your head. Hold your phone in a position where you don’t have to crane your neck. Your body should be as relaxed as possible. Keeping your muscles tense will cause pain.
- Take a Break. Every 15-20 minutes take a few minutes to put your phone down or look up from your computer. Set an alarm on your phone to remind you to take a break. Take this time to stretch your neck, and to correct your posture if needed.
- Get Adjusted. A regular visit to your chiropractor can help keep your body and spine in alignment. They can also give you personalized advice on how to avoid and correct text neck.
- Download an App. Believe it or not, there are tons of apps out there designed to help you fix your posture, and help you avoid text neck. They often include training that can help you train your head to come back, and avoid the slouching position.
- Stretching and Exercise. Stretching and exercising can do a lot to help alleviate and prevent pain caused by text neck. Keeping your neck strong and flexible will help you handle the stress your body goes through on a day to day basis.
These are simple ways on how to avoid text neck, but they are important to keep the needless pain away. As the old saying goes, “An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.” Apply these tips regularly into your life, and you’ll be sure to avoid the worst of text neck.